Mark MacAfee is an expert on raw milk. He has made it his life’s passion to study it. I went to an informal seminar where he was the speaker and this is what I learned:
- The International Genome project studies the human genome and come up with some interesting results. Remember, they were not studying raw milk, they were studying the human genome. They found that 98% of the genetic material in our bodies was NOT human, but bacterial. These bacteria have a unique relationship to our brains and human cells, and they can “talk” to each other. since 2003 there is a new shift in human medicine and it is away from antibiotics, which kills these important messengers. It is now toward healing the gut and balancing our gut biome. They shift is to how FEW antibiotics we can give. (Hence the posters in our pediatricians offices, “cough snuffle sneeze, no antibiotics please)
- They found 80% of our immune system is made up of protective gut bacteria, necessary to our immune system and our health for the rest of our lifetimes!
- Stem cells “listen” to the bacteria in our bodies before they turn into mature cells.
- So bottom line is we need to feed our children and ourselves bacteria rich foods, “real” foods. These come in the form of fermented foods, certain high omega 3 oils, raw yeasts found in foods such as kefir and kumbucha, and RAW milk.
- Vitamins must be bio-available. That means that if you are not able to use the vitamins in your body, they do you no good. Pasteurization destroys the proteins and denatures the enzymes to make it non available.
- ONLY raw milk and truly raw cheese provides us with Alkaline Phosphatase. You can’t absorb Calcium without the phosphate, and without phosphate you get calcium leaching from your bones. While many plants have calcium, this is not available to your body and bones.